Thursday, June 19, 2014

Homemade Honey soap

 photo DSCF7450_zps4fe88d35.jpg
Pretty, huh?

I really wish there was an all-senses-blog option allready - I´d love to convey not only an image of this, but the smell and the texture as well. But maybe you can make them yourself :)

You know we´ve been beekeeping since April, and recently harvested our first honey. And I´ve always been interested in mixing soap, making soap - so it was pretty clear I wanted to try making soap with beeswax and honey.

So...
 photo DSCF7438_zps83526bf6.jpg
When we first tried the crush and strain method for our honey, we had a big amount of wax.
Since we´ve got the centrifuge, I´m out of wax for the moment, until the end of the season, when we can take some more combs away from the bees, who´ll then have a much smaller population and won´t need all their combs.

And in case you don´t have honeybees, I guess you could just buy beeswax pellets.

I bought some organic soap base on amazon and scooped some into a little bowl...
 photo DSCF7446_zps5084b06c.jpg

Then I added some of the crushed-honey-wax mixture - the only thing to keep in mind here is that too much honey will make the soap sticky and soft (of course), while too much beeswax will make the soap hard and not foamy. So be easy on both, and try a little until it feels right.
 photo DSCF7447_zps6ef2c1b4.jpg

I added some drops of essential oil als well - I found coconut and orange to go very nicely with honey and beeswax.

 photo DSCF7448_zps7c9fa9e4.jpg
Heat the whole thing, either in a double boiler or in the microwave, stir in between...

 photo DSCF7451_zps987053a6.jpg
...and then pour it into molds. And that´s it. After it cooled down, you´ll have the most awesome soap, containing beeswax and honey.

 photo DSCF7449_zpse1c30223.jpg

I´ve made around 10 so far, and only have 3 left - they go quicker than I can make them, though, since we´ve been giving the few we had away to friends, and as I´m typing this, I´m out of wax - I could co steal some from the bees, but they need it more than I do. We made some handbalm, too, using coconut oil and beeswax - I´ll show you soon!

So far, here´s some music:

1 comment:

creativejewishmom/sara said...

fabulous, wish I could smell it too! thanks for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!