Monday, April 28, 2014

Pick your pesto.

 photo DSCF7254_zps969c5708.jpg

I love picking wild herbs. I also love going for walks and  knowing about all the edible plants around me, it makes me feel awesome and rural. And when it ends with stuff I can even put in jars and label, all the better! So, this is our project today:


 photo DSCF7152_zps963302c1.jpg
This is our dinner!

The gorgeous flowers in Ronnie´s hand are wild garlic mustard, and that stuff grows like crazy behind our house. It smells and tastes like garlic, but doesn´t contain any allium, so you won´t smell after eating it.

To turn them into a fantastic pesto, all you need to do is put them in a food processor (or blend them with whatever blender you´ve got)...
 photo DSCF7153_zps49e625e6.jpg

...and add oil and salt. This, however, is very basic. The first time we made this, we added walnuts and parmesan cheese. With whole grain fettucini, it was fantastic.

 photo DSCF7154_zps6ff0e2e2.jpg

For the second round, I added sun dried tomatoes, and I liked that even better. You can dip baguette in it.
  photo DSCF7258_zps764177f5.jpg

I could imagine pine seeds to taste terrific in it, too, but I didn´t have any of those.

And in case I got you interested - here´s another post on what to do with wild garlic mustard, and be sure to check in again... there´s more cooking with flowers about to come :)

Music:

No comments: