Sunday, June 3, 2012

Doing the cool things IV: Making a Tutu

Tutu´s are cool. Don´t dare you say they aren´t!

I always wanted to make one, and let me tell you, they are super easy. You practically can´t fail!

All you need to do is take an elastic, which I´m sure everybody has somewhere around, tie or sew it into a ring, and knot strips of tulle around it. Like this:
A chair is a good help.

So far, I´ve always been too lazy to cut all the tulle into equally sized strips. But then, our kindergarten had a clean out, and I saw them actually throwing out a roll of tulle, in such a nice, ocean-like color! I didn´t even know there was such a thing as tulle on a roll!

Of course I asked if I could have it, which I could, and off I went.

Just in case you´re not lucky enough to find tulle on the waste, I checked the internet:
You can get tulle on a spoole, 10cm wide and 50 meter long, for a round 10 Euro, in a variety of colors, all over the internet, for example here. I suppose of 50 metres, you could make quite a few tutu´s :)

To get my individual strips of tulle equally long, I wrapped the tulle around a chair, and then, when I was finished, cut one side open.

I really got a kick out of how gorgeous the many, many blue layers looked:
Like a sea. I should have used it as a sea, for some theatre performance, before knotting them allt o the elastic, they were so beautiful! I could immediatly imagine paperboats, little people drawn with markers, walking on sticks, bathing in my tulle sea, and tridents made from plastic forks.

However... I think I´m going astray with this :)

The finished tutu is very appreciated. Ronnie is wearing it right now, in school, and she wears it to play in the garden...
...to weave mats from grass that she cuts with her teeth, of course...
to ride her unicycle...
or to pose for me, on the kitchen table of course.

So, this was post number 4 in my "Doing cool things" series. If you have missed the other parts of the series, you can still check out the Stripping an egg-post, and the one about Our water slide and about The soap project.

I´m off to the hardware store now, to get some hinges I need for the next project. I hope I succeed, if I do, I can show you my next project tomorrow :)

Music for today:

3 comments:

Creatrish said...

Ouuuui tutu c'est cooool! Soon as i have some material i will try your tutu making, look very easy to do! Love the color you have chosen! Photo of Ronnie riding her unicycle is great! xxxx

creativejewishmom/sara said...

LOVE it in blue, so much cooler than pink! I think I might need one like this too to ride my unicycle! Great little model and great to see you on Craft Schooling Sunday!

HelenClyde said...

Sara! You can ride a unicycle? WOW! Hats off to you! It´s so hard, I´ve tried it, without success.